Using Fantastico with a Hostgator account is a very popular method of installing Joomla. Although, HostGator has come out with their own "QuickInstall" software installer, Fantastico is robust 3rd party option.
It's a very simple install, but be warned, you will not be able to choose the name of your database or database user name. All other options are available to change the same as any other Joomla installation.
Watch the video or follow the steps below:
Before you begin, you will need:
- A HostGator account (Sign up for a HostGator Account)
- cPanel Username / Password
- DNS configured (Domain name pointed to HostGator Server)
- Latest Joomla install package.
Step 1: Log into cPanel at Hostgator
- Go to your cPanel http://www.YOURDOMAIN.com/cpanel or http://www.YOURDOMAIN.com:2082/
- Enter your cPanel username and password. *Note This information is available in the welcome email.
Step 2: Click Fantastico
- Click on 'Fantastico De Luxe' (The smiley face icon) under 'Software/Services' , to launch Fantastico.
Step 3: Enter the details of your new Joomla site
- Select the desired domain name. Most likely you will only have one option.
- *Optional - Enter the website directory (Only necessary if you are not installing to your root directory).
- Enter Joomla Admin Username (This information will be used to login to Joomla)
- Enter Joomla Admin Password
- Enter Admin Email (The Admin's Email. The Email that a lost password goes to. This can be changed after install).
- Enter Admin Username (The name displayed when logged in as admin. This can be changed after install).
- Enter Site Name (The name of your site. This can be changed after install).
- Install Sample Data if you are new to Joomla. Otherwise this step may cause you more problems than you want. It will populate Joomla with sample articles, modules, menu items, etc...
- Click the install button. *Note - This install method step skips the Standard Install steps which include the License Agreement and Database Configuration. To install using your own configured database or FTP options, it is necessary to follow the standard Joomla install guide.
Step 4: Verify your new site is up and running
- After it’s installed, the next screen will show you the database username created automatically by Fantastico. (Not Pictured)
- Click 'Finish Installation. *Recommended - Send yourself all the created information by entering in your email and clicking “Send E-mail”. (Not Pictured)
- Visit YOURSITE.com (For us, it is www.droplinemenu.com) to see make sure Joomla has installed successfully.
Step 5: Congrats! You're Done!
- Login to Joomla using the admin username and password you created. (Not Pictured)
- Once in the administration area, start building your Joomla site!